Old Masters/New Painters


                                                  Amateur cover... freehand painting!

This 'new painter', will add a few more words ~

This photograph was taken of one of my oil painting 'covers' - covering one of my hero's works - namely, Johannes Vermeer, the fabulous Dutch artist! More of his details and examples can be found online these days... rather than traditional book reading methods.  We need to bear in mind that every 'master' began as an amateur... worth saying, but not always a credible challenge! Admittedly,  when hearing artists stating that they couldn't draw...  professional modesty? - not always! I used to think that drawing was a prerequisite for being a true artist... the ability to draw reasonably well. That opinion lasted well into my later years - until I learned about using 'Tracedown'.

What is Tracedown? I've used the 'wax free tracing down paper' version, which states that it's "an all-purpose tracing medium that eliminates the artists having to make their own transfer sheets"... short, sweet and to the point! I had discovered this option quite late in my world of drawing, painting etc. Actually, I'm pleased that I'd been late in discovering this... I learned to draw over a lifetime's practising - I wouldn't change that now, even if I was able to do so! In fact, now that I'm aware of such a rapid shortcut, I'm feeling even more determined than ever to favour the traditional drawing methods (why change what's so natural and enjoyable?).

Much has changed and gradually evolved regarding my drawing/painting hobbies over the years. Anyway, apart from my artwork interests,  I'm passionately keen on D.I.Y. in general... which is much more active, presently, while our Scott-designed Workshop/Studio unit is evolving to the rear of our house. The preparation for this building commenced a number of years ago - something which has been 'on the back burner', so to speak. Back then we were/are fortunate to have friends and family who're able to lend good machinery, tools and skills to add to what we already have/use. Fortunately, my son Scott and myself are both comfortable while operating that wide range of items!

I'm realising that this article, which started by talking of 'covers' has moved into talking about another art: the art of 'D.I.Y.' - perhaps most, if not all Do It Yourself work is one or other form of 'covering' and practising? 'In a journey covering a thousand miles, the first mile is very important!' ~ not an original thought, but always true!

Thanks for your time,

Ewen

http://ewenart.blogspot.co.uk






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry/Prose Drafting